Most Interesting History Facts You Never Knew.
There is always a historical fact you never know or have neither heard nor read about, these facts about history are so intriguing and fascinating that you’d doubt all you’ve been told and thought, this is because some of these historical facts and information are hidden and sometimes totally unknown and ignored, but in this post we’ll make sure you learn as much history facts as possible.
On the narrow outlook, History is the study of past events. There is more to history than the study aspect of it because it involves the discovery, collection, organization, presentation and interpretation of those events.
Outside what is taught in the four walls of classroom, written in Paper, published in magazines, artifacts, e.t.c. There are several other historical facts you do not know. Read and learn some of the most interesting history facts there are out there.
Best Historical Facts You Should Know
Check out On This Day In History events.
- A person who studies History or takes History as a profession is called an Historian
- A Greek man by the name Herodotus (484 B.C – 425 B.C) is regarded as the father of History. The title proffered on him was first acknowledged by Cicero.
- Athletes performed naked during the Ancient Olympics and this was done in believe that they are mimicking the gods of their land.
- The Vikings happens to be the first set of people to discover the nation America by the Viking Chief Leif Eriksson in 1000 BC.
- Wilbur and Orville Wright called the Wright brothers powered the first air craft in 1903. They made four brief flights with it at Kitty Hawk.
- The First World War began on the 28 July 1914 – 11 November 1918 and cut across many continents like North and South America, Asia, Europe, Africa and others.
- The Second World War started on the 1 September 1939 from Germany in an unprovoked attack on Poland and ended on the 2 September 1945.
- The first microscope in History was invented by two Dutch spectacle-makers called Hans and Zacharias Janssen in the year 1590. They are blood related; father and son.
- The first Escalator was invented by Jesse W. in 1896. He named it an inclined escalator and installed it along Old Iron Pier at Coney Island in New York City.
- The largest museum in the world is “The Louvre” covering a total area of 72, 735 square meters (782,910 square feet). It is as big as 280 tennis courts located in Paris France.
- Turkey today has turned to an integral part of most family’s meal but before now, from History these birds were worshipped as gods as far back as 300 B.C.
- Fork was introduced in Italy in the 11th century and was once considered to be sacrilegious. It was first declared blasphemous because it was said to be an artificial hand which was a great sin against God.
- Ketchup was sold as a medicine to cure indigestion by an Ohio physician called John Cook before it became a widely known Condiment in the 19th century.
- Ferdinand Magellan was the first man in History to voyage round the world. That is he circumnavigated the globe on 10 August 1519 which took some time.
- According to the Bible, Methuselah is the longest lived man on earth. It was recorded in a chapter of the Bible Genesis that he lived 969 years.
- The first Automobile car was invented by Karl Benz in the year 1885 in Mannheim Germany.
- Harvey Williams Cushing was the first neurosurgeon in History. He performed the first successful operation on brain tumor at John Hopkins Hospital in 1889 in Maryland, U.S.
- The oldest Country in the world by many accounts is the Republic of San Marino. From records, it also doubles as the smallest country in the world; it is completely landlocked by Italy and founded on 3 September in the year 301 BCE.
- The Longest River in the world is River Nile while the Largest River by Volume according to Scientist is the Amazon River.
- The first Hydro-electric power plant began its operation along Fox River in Appleton, Wisconsin in the United State in the late 19th Century. It was done by a British-American engineer James Francis precisely 1882.
- In the Ancient times, Romans often use urine as mouthwash because it possess ammonia which at the time one of the most effective, powerful and readily available natural cleaners on the earth.
- The oldest university in history is the University of Karueein which was founded in the year 859 AD in Fez, Morocco. The higher institution of learning is still carrying on its educational operation.
- The first Mobile phone was invented by Martin Cooper on the 3 April 1973 and was produced from the Company Motorola.
- The first Currency in the World was a minted coins created by King Alyattes in Lydia, which is now a part of Turkey in the year 600 BC.
- The first Slave Trade dated back to the 15th Century when Portugal and some European kingdoms finally expand overseas and reached Africa. They kidnapped so many and the captives were all taken to Europe to be enslaved.
These facts about and more are some of the most interesting and mind blowing historical facts of the world, though there are more not capture in this article. Let’s look at some of the most frequently asked questions asked by students(Read this; Is it illegal to keep students after the bell?) of history and history enthusiasts.
- What is the most interesting thing in history?
The most interesting thing in history is that the longest day in history was 400 days long.
- What was the strangest day in human history?
The strangest day in history was July 14th, 1518 when, the dancing plague happened in France.
- Who is father of history?
The father of history is Herodotus, he was a Greek historian who lived in the 5th Century BCE.
- What is history in your own words?
History is simply the study of the past.
- Who is the most known person in history?
The most known person in history is Jesus Christ, asides him there are other very popular, notable and well known people from history.
- Who was the first historian?
Herodotus was the first known historian. He lived in the 5th century, he is also regarded as the father of history.
- What are the 3 types of history?
The 3 types of history are;
- Critical history
- Monumental history
- Antiquarian hustory
- What are some history questions?
Some history questions people ask are any of the following
- When Was the War of 1812?
- What Was the Largest Contiguous Empire in History?
- Who Invented the Automobile?
- When Was the Declaration of Independence Signed?
- Who Fought in the French and Indian War?
- Who Discovered America?
- What Does the D in D-Day Stand For?
- When Was Russia’s “Red October” Revolution?
- Why do we need to study history?
We need to study history because it’ll help us to know and understand events, people and places of the past as well as stories about them, these will in turn help us to make right decisions and also be able to effectively predict actions and outcomes of the future.
Check these Geography Trivia Questions