Fun Facts About Dogs.
Fun Facts About Dogs you probably do no know that’ll definitely blow your mind especially if you are a dog person and don’t know these.
One of the most popular and oldest pets known to mankind is dog, heck they’re called man’s best friend, chances are you own a dog or knows some that does. Dogs have been our friends since time immemorial but despite our closeness and fondness of each other, there are lots of fun facts about dogs most people still do not know about. These cool dog facts will introduce you more to man’s best friend that you could stand out as a dog expert.
As we know there are hundreds of official dog breeds in the world and even more mixes and mutts than we can count. Each dog has his own unique set of characteristics and personality. These lovable and wonderful companions are fascinating creatures.
As with our custom on this fun loving website, we’re all for the fun facts about anything possible and that includes dogs. Reading these fun facts about dogs beside your little doggy might be spicier and funnier than you think.
Check out these animal facts you didn’t know.
Fun Facts About Dogs
- The Saluki is the world’s oldest dog breed. They appear in ancient Egyptian tombs dating back to 2100 B.C.
- The tallest dog in the world is 44 inches tall.
The tallest dog in the world ever is the Great Dane named Zeus and Measured at 44 inches tall on October 4th 2011.
- 30% of Dalmatians are deaf in one ear
This is due to something called the extreme piebald gene which is responsible for their white coat and blue eyes (in some of them).
- Dachshunds were originally bred to fight badgers.
- Stray dogs in Russia have learned how to ride the complex subway system, and get off at specific stops in search of food.
- Chow Chows and Shar-Peis have black tongues.
The cause of these black tongues is currently unknown.
- Dogs have three eyelids
The third lid is called the ‘haw’ or nictitating membrane, and it’s responsible for keeping the eye protected and lubricated.
- Dogs have wet noses because it helps to absorb scent chemicals.
- The African Hunting dog is the most successful hunter in the world
- Dogs can be trained to to detect cancer and other diseases in humans.
Dogs may even be able to sniff out cancer cells simply through smelling someone’s breath.
- When your dog is carefully choosing the perfect place to do his business, it is because they prefer to go poop in alignment with the Earth’s magnetic field.
- A blind man and his guide dog hiked the Appalachian Trail.
- A Greyhound could beat a Cheetah in a long distance race.
Learn some amazing animals group names you never knew.
- Basenji dogs don’t bark, they yodel.
- A Bloodhound’s sense of smell can be used as evidence in court.
- The Beatles song ‘A Day in the Life’ has a frequency only dogs can hear.
- Newfoundlands are amazing lifeguards.
- The Ewoks in Star Wars were based on a dog.
- Have you ever wondered why your dog curls up in a ball when they sleep?
It’s actually an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and to protect vital organs while they sleep.
- Dogs that have been spayed or neutered live longer than dogs who are intact.
- The United States has the highest pet dog population in the world. Approximately 75.8 million in fact.
- Labradors have been the most popular breed in the United States for the last 26 years.
- Scientists believe that the world’s first known dog lived 31,700 years ago. This prehistoric dog resembled a large Siberian Husky.
- Spiked collars were originally fashioned in ancient Greece to protect dogs’ throats from wolf attacks.
- Former Michael Vick dogs, Sox and Hector, are certified therapy dogs.
They now spend their days cheering up people at hospitals, nursing homes, and schools.
- Your Dog’s Whiskers Help Him “See” in The Dark.
This allows your dog to better sense approaching dangers or prey — even at night.
- On Average, a Dog’s Mouth Exerts 320 Pounds of Pressure.
- Your One Year-Old Pup is as Physically Mature as a 15-Year-Old Human
- Your Dog Can Smell Your Feelings.
- Dogs Can Hear 4 Times as Far as Humans.
- Just like human fingerprints, no two dogs have the same prints on their nose.
- Dogs have very poor sense of taste.
- Dogs have been proven by scientist to dream like humans.
- It’s known that dogs only mate just twice a year.
- Studies have shown that different wagging of tail have different meanings contrary to what is popularly believed that wagging of tail generally means happiness in dogs. Dogs wag their tails when they are either happy or frightened.
- Dogs are born toothless, blind and deaf.
- Scientists have proven that dogs can only sweat on their paws because that’s the only place they have sweat glands.
- Dogs get jealous when their owners pay more attention to other animals.
- Contrary to popular belief, dogs are actually not color blind. Scientists have shown that dogs are able to see a certain number of colors but they still have challenges differentiating between a few colors but they’re still not color blind as believed by most people.
- Dogs yawn to calm themselves down especially when they are stressed and/or anxious.
- Dog years are not the same for all dog breeds.
- Studies have shown that Dogs have a sense of time.
- Medical reports have shown that the most prominent health problem dogs have is obesity.
- Three dogs were among the survivors of the titanic.
- Dogs are allergic to chocolates and chocolate consumption can sometimes be fatal for dogs.
- The desire to sleep curled up came from their instincts, to warm them up and to also protect the,.
What are 3 interesting facts about dogs?
- Dogs nose are wet help the dog absorb scent chemicals.
- Dogs can live as long as 13 years.
- Dogs can sleep as much as 14hr daily.
What are 5 interesting facts about dogs?
There are more than 5 interesting dog facts in this facts sheet, reading the ful article will show you lots of interesting facts about dogs.
What is a fun fact about dogs?
Your dog has 10,000 times stronger sense of smell than you do.
What are dogs known for?
Dogs are known to be man’s best friend.
Why do dogs like you?
Your dog licks you out of habit and also because it likes the taste of your salty skin.
Do dogs dream?
Yes, your dog dreams just like you do.
How smart is a dog?
Your dog is as smart and intelligent as an average 2 year old.
What do dogs love the most?
Your dog loves to be by your side, to eat alone, to collect trophies.